Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A LOOOOONG Overdue Update (Part 3)

April 2011
On April 1st, Greg FINALLY had an appointment to be evaluated for physical therapy through Kaiser. He had not had any therapy since December. So, now he is getting therapy one time a week for 30 min...not very much, but it's something. I really wish he could go back to Casa Colina, but it is not covered by his insurance. PT is really working on getting Greg to use a walker. Greg learns through repetition. The more he does something, the more it "sticks." So, we just keep working on using the walker and do things the same way every time. It is still a work in progress, but he is improving. I am continually praying about this...commanding all his muscles to loosen and declaring that HE WILL WALK!
Later in the month, Greg also had an Oc
cupational Therapy evaluation at Kaiser Fontana. So now he is also getting OT one time a week for 30 min. The main focus right now is getting his arm straighter and loosening arm/shoulder muscles.
April 2nd was the 2 year "anniversary" of Greg's accident. All I will say about that is that it was a tough day (actually even the week leading up to it was tough) for me. The very next day, we went to Arrowhead to visit our friend Miriam. This is the same hospital that Greg
was airlifted to. This was the first time I had ever been back there since the accident. I really had to work at holding it together. Actually, my dad drove us there because I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it. The thing that saved me is that she was in a different ICU than Greg...so I didn't wait in that waiting room (actually I refused to go in there)...or walk past the room where he was.
April 15 was a GREAT day!! My brother and sister
-in-law welcomed their first child into the world!! Baby Ethan is just perfect! He was 3 weeks early and had to stay in the NICU for a week because his lungs were not completely matured. But now he is 9 weeks old and I think he is probably the BEST baby EVER! He's just so sweet and we love him sooo much!

At the end of April, Ellie got sick AGAIN! Ahhhh....I was sooooo frustrated! I HATE sickness and I HATE having a sick baby girl. She had a high fever for about 3 days and then broke out in a rash. So, we're pretty sure she had a virus like Roseola. Once Ellie was all better, she got to hold her baby cousin. She absolutely loves him and she loves holding him!

Something we don't get to do very often is go on "outings." I had Spring Break this month and I really wanted to do something. So, we went to the zoo! My mom and dad, Greg, Ellie, and I all went. It was nice to so something somewhat "normal." Greg still talks about going! I love that he his able to handle more and more lately!



May 2011
On the 2nd, I celebrated my 28th birthday! It wa
s great that Greg was home for my bday and I love that he is able to tell me Happy Birthday, but something about it still wasn't the same. The day after my birthday, we were on our way to Kaiser Fontana for Greg's therapy and were rear-ended. The damage was minor and no one was hurt...but just another thing to deal with. And...we didn't make it to Greg's therapy. :( May 26th was the last day of my temporary contract, so back to unemployment.


June 2011
So here we are in June! We are just trying to enjoy summer! There are no big updates on Greg...he's just continuing his one day a week therapy. Today he had therapy and he had a good day. His OT started by working out his arm and getting it as straight as possible. We have a lot of work to do in this area. Then they worked on transferring from the wheelchair to the commode and back. The OT is trying to help Greg to become as independent as possible, so he's trying to teach Greg how to do this on his own. Greg does not transfer completely on his own yet, but he's getting closer and closer! Then PT helped Greg use the walker. Often times, he forgets to push the walker forward. He'll just keep steppin
g forward and neglect the walker, but then he ends up leaning back completely. This of course would cause him to fall if someone wasn't there supporting him. Today, Greg pushed the walker forward completely on his own!! The PT said that this is the best he has ever done with the walker. I love hearing things like this!

Well, I have to apologize for being so wordy and long-winded! This turned into more of a family update than a Greg update! Hopefully, I can keep this up a little better so I don't have to write such long posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment